By Shadow Robot Compagny / Photo: Smart Grasping System from Shadow Robot Compagny
We are delighted to announce that we have received funding from Innovate UK for a new project to create a demonstrator of a novel semi-autonomous teleoperation (SAT) system that is simpler and more intuitive than existing teleoperation technologies. The project launched on 1st March 2017 and will run for the next 13 months. We are delighted to be working with three prestigious partners: OC Robotics, Cambrian Intelligence and UCL.
The SAT project will use our world-renowned Dexterous Hand on the end of an OC Robotics snake-arm robot. Cambrian Intelligence will be using their expertise to create an augmented VR user interface, whilst UCL will be installing vision and testing the system on their hardware.
The main aim of the SAT project will be to create a system that provides an AR interface with a robot hand and arm attached, so the human can work at a higher level than direct teleoperation and tell the robot system what to do, not how to do it. We see semi-autonomous working as the future of teleoperation and therefore this project is the beginning of something huge for the industry.
Our MD, Rich Walker said ‘What a privilege to work on a project like this. Teleoperation has always been an area we feel our Dexterous Hand works well in, and to work alongside such fantastic partners is really the cherry on the cake. We’ve got the opportunity to change the face of teleoperation and establish SAT as a safer, more reliable, more cost-effective solution to remote robotics’.
This will be a fresh approach to teleoperation and will see our deft Dexterous Hand move into an industrial application, and we’re so excited by the possibilities of where this could lead. If you would like more information about the project or would like to get in touch about how it will work, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(L-R) Alan Mak MP, Armando de la Rosa, Rich Walker
On 20th March we were invited to the launch of the We have been invited to demonstrate our innovative technology at the launch of a new All-Party Parliamentary Group on the Fourth Industrial Revolution. The launch took place at the House of Commons and was hosted by the group’s Chairman and founder, Alan Mak MP. Click here for more information about the group.
Review of #ERF2017
We had a great time at the European Robotics Forum! #ERF2017 was a three day conference that took place in the heart of Edinburgh, in which we showed a new demo of our Smart Grasping System in the exhibition, which constantly had a crowd of people gathered around. Our Head of Dexterous Manipulation, Armando de la Rosa, was on the stand and said “It’s a such great turnout, there’s a real buzz in the room – everyone I’ve spoken to really likes the demo; and from what I’ve heard there’s over 800 people here!”. It was a privilege for us to exhibit alongside the biggest and best innovators in European robotics, as well as getting more acquainted with new startups. There was a real spirit of information sharing and collaborative thinking. Click here to read our ERF 2017 roundup.
Hooray! Huzzah! Whoopee! We’ve been accepted into NVIDIA’s Inception programme! Those in AI will know what that means, and they will understand the joy that we feel right now! The Inception programme nurtures dedicated and exceptional startups who are revolutionising industries with advances in AI and data science. More details about the programme here…
In other news:
- Tomorrow we’ll be exhibiting at the Industry 4.0 Summit in Manchester on the Innovate UK stand. As a company they’ve supported, they’ve asked us to showcase our latest innovation, so head to stand K40 to see the Smart Grasping System in action!
- The first ROS Ukraine meetup was really fun! It brought together people with previous experience in robotics as well as newbies. The Ukrainian audience was highly interested in ROS, and naturally there were a lot of questions. Have a look at our post here about the event.
- Make sure you listen to the Tech Talk radio show on Thursday 6th April from 1pm – 2pm to hear a new interview with our MD Rich Walker.
- On the 20th April, Rich will be sitting on a panel at the ‘Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer: Commercialising New Technologies in the 4th Industrial Revolution’ conference in London. For more info and to book tickets, please visit the Policy-UK website.
- We’ll be attending the UKIVA Machine Vision Conference as a delegate on 27th April. The conference is in Milton Keynes (UK), if you’re attending too, do let us know.
It’s with regret that we announce the departure of our Head of Sales and Partnerships, Oktay Pehlivanoglu. Oktay’s been working with us for two years, and has been a real asset to the team. We wish him all the best with his future endeavours and thank him for his hard work over the years!
For more information about our products and to discuss any requirements you have, feel free to get in touch with our team: email@example.com | +44 (0) 20 7700 2487